[cups.general] slow printing from cups

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Jan 22 19:12:26 PST 2009

Michael R Sweet wrote:
> Ryan Suarez wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> We're running samba v3.24 & cups v1.3.7.  The problem queue (oa-e202-e1)
>> is printing to the lpd port Lexmark T644 printer.  I'm trying to print
>> from Windows Vista 32bit client using  the 'Lexmark T644 PS (MS)' driver
>> installed from the clients local driver repository.
>>
>> The problem is that it takes a *minute* to print a simple test notepad
>> file.  The job hits the printer immediately since the roller on the
>> printer starts spinning (slowly).  But the roller keeps spinning
>> (slowly) for a while and the job eventually prints (slowly) after a
>> minute of waiting.
>>
>> If I print directly to the IP of the printer, using the same driver on
>> the client, the job prints *right away*.
>>
>> I have cups job files and error_log here:
>> http://it.sheridanc.on.ca/cups
>>
>> Any advice?  We're getting alot of complaints with this.
>>

> More than likely the issue is that the print file probably gets
> spooled 4 times - first as a metafile for the printer driver, then
> from the driver to disk, then over to Samba (which puts a copy on
> disk), and then finally to CUPS which puts a copy on disk before
> running the backend which sends it to the printer.
>
> You can use IPP (URL = http://cupsserver:631/printers/cupsqueue)
> to print directly from the Windows system through CUPS to eliminate
> two of those copies.

Hi Michael,

I'll confirm if bypassing samba and mapping directly to cups IPP speeds
up the print.

Unfortunately, thats probably not an option for us.  We take advantage
of Samba's point and print tech to support the students here.  They
simply map the server on their laptops and double-click on the queue
they want to connect to.

Having to train students to manually map each printer they need and
choose the correct driver, as they roam to different locations, would
prove too cumbersome.

Are there any workarounds I can pursue?

thanks and much appreciated,
Ryan