[cups.general] problems hooking into CUPS

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Jan 27 14:48:53 PST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:45:41AM -0500, Ryan Suarez wrote:

> We're trying to use this wrapper to hook into cups after the job is sent
> to the printer:
> http://www.pykota.com/software/tea4cups
>
> Unfortunately, we're wrapping around some custom backend called 'garobe'
> from Canon to drive their IPF 5000 large format printer:
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=260&modelid=14005
>
> The wrapper works as expected.  Problem is, the Adobe PhotoShop client
> application no longer sees some printer specific options when the
> backend wrapper is used.  The options come back when the wrapper is
> taken out.
>
> Anyone else come across this problem?  Is there an alternate way of
> hooking into CUPS after the job is sent to the printer?

Is there any "filter" directive defined in tea4cups.conf ? This could
explain the problem if printing options are embedded in the file.

Otherwise, if you're talking about CUPS options, (lp -o ...), they
should be preserved and passed as-is from CUPS to Tea4CUPS to the real
backend. If they aren't maybe you've hit a bug.

Could you put "LogLevel debug2" and "MaxLogSize 0" in cupsd.conf then
restart CUPS, and put "debug: yes" in tea4cups.conf, then print something,
and send your CUPS' error_log as a gzipped attachment (all lines, not
limited to the Tea4CUPS ones) to me, privately.

bye

Jerome Alet