[RFE] STR #1267: usb backend should retry evenfor model specific DeviceURI

Bert cups at archipelago.entadsl.com
Thu Jan 1 06:51:38 PST 2009

> [STR New]
>
> At the moment I use CUPS version 1.1.23
> I have a HP LaserJet 1220.
>
> The printer is switched off and I submit a print job:
>
> When using a DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0
> the usb backend retries and I get the message:
> "Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...".
>
> When I use the DeviceURI "usb://HP/LaserJet%201220",
> the backend doesn't retry but "stopped with status 1"
> so that the queue becomes disabled and I get the error message
> "Unable to open USB device "usb://HP/LaserJet%201220": No such device"
>
> For me this behaviour looks inconsistent.
> Therefore I propose that for CUPS 1.2 the
> usb backend should retry in any case.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1267
> Version: 1.2-feature

Yes, I was getting this right through to 1.2.12. It drove me to distraction that coincidentally, precisely the same printer was giving me just this problem and I was having to use it on parallel, which meant that it could not be used as a scanner. Now the holidays have let me get to the bottom of this.

I see that it got fixed at 1.3.5 from the changelog, and I am running 1.3.5, and it is working fine.

Thanks to all for fixing it, but looking at the posts dating from 2005 and earlier, I do think it took too long for such a showstopper to get proper attention.