CUPS stopped printing

Hermann Hoff hermann-hoff at t-online.de
Mon Jan 5 13:20:00 PST 2009

I'm using CUPS v1.1.20 on SuSE Linux 9.1 and since a while, the printer, a Canon BJC-4300 connected to /dev/lp0, doesn't print any more. I still can print in Windows to the same printer, so it's not a problem of the printer or the cable.

YaST auto-detects the printer correctly but doesn't print any of the test prints. The test for the first parallel port says:

"The printer seems to be installed correctly."

but no "Hello, world" comes out of the printer. The other tests give a message like:

"The file... has been sent to the printer. If the printer prints nonsens remove the paper or stop the printer... OK | Cancel"

Again, the printer prints nothing, not even nonsens.

Now, I added a printer from the command line with:

'lpadmin -p BJC4300 -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -P /usr/share/cups/model/Canon/BJC-4300-gimp-print.ppd.gz'

In kprinter or OpenOffice, I now can select the printer and it's controls and, when I try to print a file, kJobViewer shows the job in progress and the files (let's say for job 1) c00001 and d00001-001 are created in /var/spool/cups. The file d00001-001 will be removed after a while, c00001 remains there and the job will be cleared in kJobViewer. But nothing comes out to paper!

Below I resume a few messages of the /var/log/cups/error_log with LogLevel set to 'debug(2)' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf which I guess they might be helpful (I'll omit the date/time stamp):

I Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 4703) for job 1
I Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 4704) for job 1
I Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 4705) for job 1
d PID 4703 exited with no errors
D Starting renderer
D renderer PID kid4=4708
D Renderer process finished
d PID 4704 exited with no errors
d PID 4705 exited with no errors
D UpdateJob: job1, file 0 is complete
d UpdateJob: Removing fd 7 from InputSet...
D CancelJob: id=1
D StopJob: id=1, force=0
D StopJob: printer state is 3
d StopJob: Freeing status buffer...
d SaveJob: Closing file 7...
d SaveJob: Closing file 7
d decode_auth(0x4038e008): Authorization string = ""
d decode_auth() 7 username = '

AAGA
Hermann