[cups.general] Need encryption help & proposals for documentation

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Mon Jul 6 17:42:25 PDT 2009

> Now that I know how to authenticate to the Windows printer server
> via samba, the question arises how to authenticate in a _secure_ way
> as sometimes I have to authenticate over the internet.
> Is encryption secure enough? How do I encrypt the data send to the
> Windows printerserver? After a few more hours of wearisome
> searching, I found that there are Encryption and DefaultEncryption
> directives in client.conf (which I don't have) and cupsd.conf. Which
> one do I have to use to encrypt the data? client.conf or cupsd.conf?
> Or none of both?
>
> The CUPS documentation surely isn't very detailed and one easily can
> get confused and therefore not made for beginners and people who
> want to know how things work.
>
> Hope, I made some constructive criticism for the documentation and
> would be thankful for some help.

You may be interested in PrintAgent. This tool will allow you to
authenticate jobs via a browser. HTPPS is fully supported and
PrintAgent is compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Relevant URL : http://www.lucidsystems.org/printingworks/printagent

You may find that someone on the list answers your question regarding
the security of the SMB authentication system. Sorry, I am unable to
help you with that question.