[cups.general] When does CUPS 1.4 cupsd write changes to config files?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jul 14 10:30:11 PDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> I have reproducible more than half a minute delay when adding,
> changing, and deleting a queue, see below.
>
> Is the delayed write behaviour intentional?

Yes, absolutely.  Previous versions of CUPS wrote printers.conf,
classes.conf, and the current printcap file quite often, which has an
adverse affect on runtime performance and (for portable computers)
battery life.

The (new) DirtyCleanInterval directive controls the delay, which
defaults to 30 seconds.  Setting it to 0 will have it write the
changes on the next pass through the main run loop - less immediate
than before, but still should be within a few milliseconds and without
the redundant writes.

As always, reading or writing config files directly is never a good
idea.