Password required?

Michael Piotrowski mxp at dynalabs.de
Tue Jul 14 13:59:05 PDT 2009

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:03 AM, Michael Piotrowski wrote:
> > Apparently the "authenticated" policy takes precedence over the
> > "default" policy, even though the cupsd.conf reference says under
> > "DefaultPolicy" that the default policy is "default." Explicitly
> > specifying a DefaultPolicy directive didn't seem to have an effect.
>
> The "authenticated" policy does not take precendence.
>
> Each printer has its own OpPolicy definition; sounds like your
> printers.conf file has "OpPolicy authenticated" in it.
>
> If you upgraded to 1.4rc1 using NetBSD-supplied packages, make sure
> that their upgrade doesn't change the policies for existing printers
> or patch CUPS to work differently than from cups.org...

Sorry, I should have mentioned this: I built 1.4rc1 from the cups.org source.  I completely removed all traces of the previous installation, including all configuration files and printer definitions.  I then created two new printers via the Web interface.

Indeed, printers.conf does contain "OpPolicy authenticated" for both printers.  However, it was newly created through the Web interface: There was no existing file, nor did I edit it.

Strange.  But at least I now know how I can fix it...

Best regards