[cups.general] Page label overlaps output

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jul 15 08:23:10 PDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Nathan Paul wrote:
>> I'm using the page-label option to generate a customized header/
>> footer on my documents. The header and footer sometimes overlap the
>> printed output. Is there any solution to this? The alternate pstops
>> filter will not work, since we have requirements to support PS1.
>
> I should also mention that although a banner page would be an
> acceptable alternative, we need to print information in the label/
> banner that is acquired elsewhere in the system and is subject to
> change. Restarting the scheduler is not an option, so I think banner
> pages are not an option.

Keep in mind that banner pages can be any format, so you can actually
run a filter that converts the banner page to a different format (e.g.
PostScript) for printing, injecting data as needed.

That's actually how the CUPS 1.4 banners and test page are implemented
now, allowing us to localize them more easily.