Page label overlaps output

Nathan Paul njpaul at mtu.edu
Fri Jul 17 08:33:03 PDT 2009

> > On Jul 15, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Nathan Paul wrote:
> > > The label does indeed white out the content so the label is visible,
> > > but our customer has told us they don't want the overlapping. I'm
> > > fairly sure I can convince them to use a banner page instead. How
> > > might I go about running a filter on just the banner page?
> >

> > Add a filter and file type to CUPS (/etc/cups/local.types, /etc/cups/
> > local.convs, and /usr/lib/cups/filter/yourfilter or /usr/libexec/cups/
> > filter/yourfilter), and then create banner files in /usr/share/cups/
> > banners that map to your file type.  Then the filter program will get
> > run when the corresponding banner is selected when printing.

> > Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer
> >

> Sounds simple enough. I'll give it a try over the next week or so. Thanks.

I got this working and it was quite simple to do. My exact steps were to create a new .types and .convs file and put them in /etc/cups. The .types file defined a single MIME type which searched for a string of text at the beginning of a file that I knew would not appear in any print jobs. The entry in the .convs file calls out my filter and indicates that it is converting to PostScript. I then placed a dummy banner file with the text searched for in the .types file into /usr/share/cups/banners. I placed my filter in /usr/lib/cups/filter.

Works like a charm.