[cups.general] help

Steve Smith steve at gdesigns.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 09:45:21 PDT 2009

Hi

I'm running CUPS 1.3.7 under RH5.2 and have noticed something strange.  My
CUPS print queues are all set to RAW and use socket's to

connect to various printers/plotters.  The software we use has it's own
drivers for the different printer/plotters.

I have stopped a CUPS queue for testing but it is still accepting jobs.  On
the CUPS server as either ROOT or a user when I print I see all the jobs in
the relevant CUPS queue, the same happens when I print from

Windows using Unix Print services for Windows.  When I print from a Linux
client machine I see the first print job that is sent by the user in the
server queue but no more until the print queue is started and the first
client job has completed.  The second job from the client then appears and
so on, second job completed and the third appears. While the queue is
stopped if i run lpstat -u on the client machine I can see the jobs that do
not show on the server queues. Why aren't they getting to the server ?

I also briefly installed 1.4.1rc1 on a test server and had a problem with
classes.  When a new queue was created there was a check box for sharing,
this sharing box is not there when a class is created.

Using Lpstat -t on there server I could see the class but lpstat -t on a
client did not show the class as a shared printer.  I also noticed a couple
of times that when creating a new queue the 'Continue' box was missing in
the setup page.

Steve Smith - GEO Designs Limited

(voice) +44 (0)2392 466750

(fax) +44 (0)2392 637390

(mob) +44 (0)7973 392069

steve at gdesigns.co.uk

www.gdesigns.co.uk

Please contact us if you use CGM files, we have the solutions