Root stopped working in web interface

Brandon warcraftthreeft at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 27 09:16:22 PDT 2009

Okay I submitted this as a bug, but I doubt the information I gave them will help at all. Maybe someone else knows the cause.

I've had a server running for the past year. I've logged into the administrator section of the web interface fine in the past, and so has another person. Absolutely nothing has changed over the past few years.

Today I got a call saying it won't allow login. You type in root and then the password and it just pops up the password dialog again. I can ssh into the server just fine using root.

I restarted the cups process using /etc/init.d/cupsys restart and it didn't change anything. Restarting the whole server doesn't do anything either.

Ubuntu 8.04 if that matters.

I'm thinking I should just format the cups server since it takes me 5 minutes to set things up, but this sounds like a serious issue I shouldn't just push aside. Anyone else have this happen before where the root password worked and then all of a sudden stops after a few months?