[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3247: Enable CUPS to advertize non-CUPS network printers

Olivier Valentin valentio at free.fr
Mon Jul 6 02:14:28 PDT 2009

----- "Michael Sweet" <msweet at apple.com> a écrit :

> [STR Closed w/Resolution]
>
> You can already add using the "raw" driver (since 1.1.23, IIRC).

Tell me if I'm wrong, but with a raw queue, the CUPS server will act as a kind of "proxy" between the printer and the client:
* I won't be able to get IPP printer-specific parameters
* I won't see the jobs of the other clients that where sent directly to the printer
* It will put extra load on the server

I don't agree on the equivalence between raw queue and remote ipp printer (or else, why remote printers exist in CUPS ?)

Or, maybe I missed what the "raw driver" you talk about is... but I found no reference to a "raw thing" other than the "raw queue" in the documentation.

Olivier