[cups.development] could not print from Windows 2000 to IPP offered by cups

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Jul 7 01:31:13 PDT 2009

Hello. When trying to add printer in Windows 2000 with "URI" option, and
type the address of the printer, Windows complains:

    Problem: Cannot connect to shared printer attached to a computer
    with an older operating system using Vista.  Get errors like
    “0x00000866 … cannot connect to the printer

Using ngrep I found Windows did try to connect to cups and their talk
seems end up failure. Both sides talked a lot but I could not understand
what happened. Attached is the script generated by
# ngrep port 631
which contains the conversation. Can someone point out what went wrong?

The Windows 2000 client has SP4. Printing from Windows XP and other
Linux hosts works fine here.

--
Real Softservice

Baiyan Building Unit 406B