options to command line tools

Sumant Oemrawsingh soemraws at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 10 07:33:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm heavily using the command line tools (lpr and friends) and noticed some inconsistencies:

lpq, lpstat, lprm and lpoptions use -h server
lpr uses -H server

I understand that this is because of lpr -h disabling the banner, but to me, that would mean changing the -h option of the other programmes to -H (for consistency's sake).

Also, the lpoptions manpage indicates that -U can be used. However, when doing:

lpoptions -E -h some.server -U myusername -d printername

I get a very "helpful" message that basically indicates that -U cannot be used here.

These are all annoyances, since after a while, I always forget which tool uses which argument to set the hostname, and I cannot set a default printer when printing to another host on my computer.

Should these be submitted in the bugtracker, or are there reasons for having it like this?

Thanks,
Sumant