[cups.development] Orderdependency

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jul 14 10:30:05 PDT 2009

On Jul 13, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Paul Grenning wrote:
> I can't seem to find documentation on what order dependency does
> within the PPD files. For example:
>
> *OrderDependency: 20.0 AnySetup *option
>
> What does the 20.0 and the "AnySetup" do to the UI or options?

First, please do read Adobe's PPD specification.  It does document
this and other important things.

That said, the 20.0 is used when sorting the options in the PPD file
when we write out the corresponding PostScript code. For example, a
printer might need the Duplex code written before PageSize, so you'd
use a larger value for PageSize than for Duplex.

The section keyword (AnySetup, DocumentSetup, PageSetup, ExitServer,
or JCLSetup) tells CUPS when to output the PostScript commands.
AnySetup means the commands can appear anywhere in the output document.

DocumentSetup means you have to output the commands at the beginning
of the document (between the Begin/EndSetup comments).

PageSetup means you have to output the commands before every page
(between the Begin/EndPageSetup comments).

ExitServer and JCLSetup mean that you output the commands before the
document; ExitServer commands are PostScript while JCLSetup commands
are a different job control language (like PJL).

Options that can only be set for an entire document must use the
DocumentSetup, ExitServer, or JCLSetup section keywords, which tell
CUPS (and any applications using the PPD file) that the option is
document-wide.

Options that can be set on a per-page basis must use the AnySetup or
PageSetup section keywords.