how developers are expected to use the string catalogs in /usr/share/cupsddk/po

Smith Kennedy smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Jul 29 14:16:30 PDT 2009

Greetings,

If I am including the media types in a .drv file like so:

#include <media.defs>

I had hoped to also leverage the strings corresponding to these media
sizes.  However, it isn't clear to me how to do this "properly".  The
documentation didn't seem to have any recommendations in this area
that I could tell.  If I include multiple #po directives for a given
locale, ppdc complains like so:

ppdc: Duplicate #po for locale en on line 37 of myprinters.drv!

So it seems that ppdc cannot draw from more than one string catalog at
a time, which makes it difficult to use these strings.  Moreover, even
though ppdc knows where to look when it sees a directive like so:

#include <media.defs>

it doesn't seem to be able to handle a directive like so:

#po en <en.po>

which I for one would have expected to work, given that that file
resides in "/usr/share/cupsddk/po" and the media.defs file resides in
"/usr/share/cupsddk/include".

Are these known issues, or am I doing something wrong?  I'll happily
file STRs for these if needed.

Thanks for any help,
Smith

p.s. Running Mac OS X Server 10.6 developer seed in VMWare, with CUPS
1.4.0 ("cups-217" is returned by "cups-config --build")