[cups.general] server error message after changing administration options

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 09:52:46 PDT 2009

Hi,

After choosing to share printers across my network through the web
interface of CUPS (1.3.10), then I provided the "root" and the root
password, and the server displayed the message "stand by while the
server restarts", but this error was displayed immediately after that:

---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
The requested operation could not be completed
Improperly Formatted URL
Details of the Request:
Date and Time: Wed June 10 2009 11:47
Additional Information:
The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) that you entered was not properly formatted. The format of a URL is generally as follows:
protocol://user:password@www.example.org:port/folder/filename.extension?query=value
Possible Solutions:
Double-check that you have entered the correct location and try again.

Checking /var/log/cups/access_log, I can see the corresponding lines:

E [10/Jun/2009:11:42:41 -0500] Bad request line "" from localhost!
E [10/Jun/2009:11:42:52 -0500] cupsdAuthorize: pam_authenticate() returned 7 (Authentication failure)!

However, the changes were indeed made, as I can see the new settings by
going back to http://localhost:631.  Any ideas what might be wrong would
be appreciated.

--
Seb