[cups.general] root and lpoptions

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jun 11 14:45:54 PDT 2009

Minatra, Pat H. wrote:
> So, how do I undo these errors?  The only way I can find to do that
> now is just edit the /etc/cups/lpoptions file for that line of
> information and then restart cups.

No need to restart cups - lpoptions is entirely a client thing, so
at most you need to restart any applications that are printing
directly via libcups (or logout and login if you aren't sure).

If you just want to remove the options for the default queue, run:

     lpoptions -x defaultqueue

If you just want to remove the newprinter option, run:

     lpoptions -r newprinter

 >  I am also finding that 'default'
> printing is NOW going to 'newprinter' instead of 'defaultqueue'; I
> guess because of the 'true"?

That shouldn't be the case - the "newprinter=true" bit is treated as
an option, and we don't do mapping of queues like this.

> I am having a hard time understanding 'why' the application works
> this way and hoping someone can help me with that understanding.

We need to be able to support defaults set by an administrator.
Prior to CUPS 1.3, this wasn't possible in the server itself, so
the solution was to use root's client printing options (lpoptions)
to serve this purpose instead.

As for why "lpoptions -o foo" sets an option on the default printer,
that's just for consistency with the "lp" command (which also doesn't
require you to specify a printer name...)