[cups.general] Howto print to a printer that needs authentication

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jun 12 02:34:18 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Jun 11 09:29 Michael R Sweet wrote (shortened):

> Mark Veenstra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am rearly new to CUPS and went through some documentation.
>> I want to print to a printer. Let's say the URL will be
>> http://www.minihouse.eu/printers/IBM InfoPrint 1130 Vracht/.printer
>> and the user credentials are:
>> USER: MHNL\MARK_Printer
>> PASS: testing123
>
> For this kind of configuration, include the user and password in the
> device URI:
>

> http://MHNL%5CMARK_Printer:testing123@www.minihouse.eu/printers/IBM%20InfoPrint%201130%20Vracht/.printer

I would like to request to enhance the URI examples
in the "Using Network Printers" documentation
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/network.html
regarding this by adding the following examples
in the "Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)" section:

ipp://username:password@ip-address-or-hostname/...
http://username:password@ip-address-or-hostname/...

Should I file an STR for this?

By the way:

According to the "Using Network Printers" documentation
and according to backend/lpd.c in the CUPS 1.3.9 sources
it seems for the lpd backend only a username but no
password is possible.

I wonder why the lpd backend does not also support
lpd://username:password@ip-address-or-hostname/

As far as I see the reason is that according to
RFC 1179 "Line printer daemon protocol" there is
no authentication at all in LPD - instead here the username
is only used to describe who has requested the print job.

Is this correct?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex