[cups.general] -Z - Switch for "lpr"

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jun 12 09:36:55 PDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Daniel Spannbauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for the old Printing-Systems (in my case plp) there was sthe
> Commandline-Switch "-Z" which (according to the man-Page):
> -Z options
>             Pass  the specified options to the print spooler.  Used
> when 	    additional or specialized information must be provided to
>
>    the spooler.
>
> Is that Switch anywhere for cups-LPR?

"man lpr", or read the "printing options" help on your local system (http://localhost:631/help/options.html
).

In short, "-o" is used for options.  The original Berkeley
implementation of lpr did not support generic options, and we opted to
use "-o" for options for consistency with "lp" instead of "-Z" or any
of the other letters the various LPR clones added.

That said, when printing *to* an LPD queue, NO OPTIONS ARE PASSED
THROUGH since the LPD protocol does not provide a standard way to do
so...