[cups.general] Network printer: connect directly or via cups server?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Jun 14 08:47:38 PDT 2009

I have one (Ubuntu) machine that is connected to two printers and is
setup to share its printers.

I also have a network printer on that server:

    device for HP_Color_LaserJet_2605: socket://color_laser:9100

What do you recommend for setting up clients?  Should they connect to
the printer directly or via the CUPS server?  My Linux machines
connect to the print server, but I noticed the Apples we have are
connected directly to the printer.

BTW --

device for photosmart-7350: hp:/usb/photosmart_7350?serial=MY372432KQ6N
printer photosmart-7350 is idle.  enabled since Mon 02 Mar 2009 03:16:06 PM PST

That printer has been disconnected for months.  Does "idle" just mean
it's not disabled in the CUPS configuration?  Seems like other
printers report their state.

--
Bill Moseley.
moseley at hank.org