problem adding printer in CUPS

ethan eswint at vt.edu
Thu Jun 18 08:31:09 PDT 2009

> > > I'm running into problems when I try to add a printer under Fedora
> > > 11.  I've got the complete details at
> > > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=224132
> > >
> > > but the summary is that I get the errors "HTTP Forbidden for CUPS-
> > > GetDevices (no URI) from localhost" and "execute /usr/lib/cups/
> > > daemon/cups-driverd: insecure file permissions (0100777)" when I try
> > > to add my printer.  Any ideas?
> >
> > Did you install CUPS 1.4 on that system?  CUPS 1.4 adds permission
> > requirements for all executables - you can't have world write
> > permissions enabled on the executable or containing directory.  It
> > sounds like the permissions are wrong...
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Cups 1.4 is installed.  What should the permissions be, 555 (rx)?

I ran
chmod -R a+rx /usr/lib/cups/*
chmod -R o-w /usr/lib/cups/*

and that seems to have fixed the issues with the GUI interface.  I still can't get at the CUPS browser interface, though - error 404 on any page but http://localhost:631, even if I'm running the browser as root.  My printer still isn't cooperating very nicely...