[cups.general] Option will not toggle OFF

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jun 23 13:30:22 PDT 2009

Paul Landers wrote:
> Hi, in CUPS 1.3.8 and 1.3.10 both on Debian Lenny I've noted that if
> I check "Allow printing from the internet" in the CUPS web interface
> it correctly inserts "Allow all" into <Location />.  However, when I
> un-check this box and restart cupsd (click Change Settings) it is not
> removed!  Only if I remove I manually from cupsd.conf is the
> check-box cleared.

Please file a bug and include your cupsd.conf before and after.

> Also, what is the correct way to offer suggestions for clarifications
> in the web interface?  For example, a non-power user might interpret
> "Allow printing from the Internet" to mean "when I check this box,
> everything necessary for my friend in Antarctica to print to my
> printer just happened, including opening the ports on my firewall and
> setting port forwarding on my router."  One possible alternative
> might be "Allow printing from beyond my local network"

You can file a feature request on cups.org:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

however I'm not sure that "Allow printing from beyond my local
network" is any more clear or implies any less.

We did debate the wording when we added it for 1.3; we chose the
current wording to make it clear that you could potentially be
opening things up to the whole Internet...