do I have right understanding please

star bushieisa at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 15:25:20 PDT 2009

First, please pardon any bad English, plus Im new to CUPS : -()
I did search these in cups.general, but no matches for the directives.
See I did some homework : )
Ok..

Do I have the right understanding here, please:

BrowseLocalProtocols specify what protocols to use when advertising local shared printers from a CUPS server to network users.

BrowseProtocols specify the protocols to use for showing and advertising, so this directive determines what protocol the CUPS server will be listening on as well as talking on as far as CUPS shared printers are concerned.

BrowseRemoteProtocols specify what protocols to listen to when finding other CUPS printers on the network.

1. If so, is there a reason to even have a BrowseProtocols directive?
How does it cooperate with those other two directives?

2. The CUPS V1.3 ‘Whats New’ states that SNMP lookups are no longer performed by default. However, when I click ‘Find New Printers’ in CUPS web admin, I discover by SNMP. So, I disabled SNMP in /etc/cups/snmp.conf and now get no printers.

But my Linux computer runs Avahi (mDNS/DNS-SD) and discovers my network printers ok.

Is there a way to config CUPS V1.3 to discover via mDNS/DNS-SD instead of SNMP?

3. The CUPS V1.3 ‘Whats New’ states "IPP is not used for discovered printers".
I cannot make sense from that phrase. Can anyone clarify?

I love CUPS! I want to understand it more. Thank you