[cups.general] do I have right understanding please

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jun 23 20:03:15 PDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 3:25 PM, star wrote:
> 1. If so, is there a reason to even have a BrowseProtocols directive?
> How does it cooperate with those other two directives?

BrowseProtocols came first and sets both the local and remote
protocols to the same value(s).  BrowseLocalProtocols and
BrowseRemoteProtocols came later to set the protocols separately.

> 2. The CUPS V1.3 ‘Whats New’ states that SNMP lookups are no longer
> performed by default. However, when I click ‘Find New Printers’ in
> CUPS web admin, I discover by SNMP. So, I disabled SNMP in /etc/cups/
> snmp.conf and now get no printers.

That's likely a distribution-specific change.

> But my Linux computer runs Avahi (mDNS/DNS-SD) and discovers my
> network printers ok.
>
> Is there a way to config CUPS V1.3 to discover via mDNS/DNS-SD
> instead of SNMP?

Currently we do not support Avahi in CUPS, mainly because Avahi is
tied to glib's run loop which is incompatible with what we use in the
scheduler. Tim Waugh (Red Hat) has been working on the necessary
changes to make it work, but that won't appear in CUPS until 1.5 at
the earliest.

Till K. did an Avahi-based backend to support discovery and printing
to network printers; I'm not sure what the status of that backend is.

> 3. The CUPS V1.3 ‘Whats New’ states "IPP is not used for discovered
> printers".
> I cannot make sense from that phrase. Can anyone clarify?

The SNMP backend used to try using IPP with network printers.
Unfortunately, doing so can actually lock up some network printers
because of bugs in their implementation, so we no longer try IPP by
default. However, you can specify DeviceURI lines in snmp.conf to
force IPP, and printers that support the Port Monitor MIB can (in CUPS
1.4) specify IPP as well.