[cups.general] do I have right understanding please

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 24 10:55:38 PDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 10:35 AM, star wrote:
> hi Michael,
> Thank you for guidance on the protocol directives.
> Also, thanks for the status of Avahi and CUPS, and about
> SNMP / IPP delta from V1.2, and how to override. Very cool!
>
> I imagine the current CUPS mDNS/DNS-SD backend really is Bonjour.
>
> I found this post from the distant past-
> "...The plan was to include the mdns backend with CUPS 1.3.x, but it
> was
> not ready for public consumption in time.  It will likely show up in
> 1.4.x once we have all of the issues ironed out."
>
> I gather that things change and now mdns backend is really here in
> V1.3 as Bonjour.

Um, no. That is Till's backend. The official backend is part of CUPS
1.4 and is now called "dnssd" (for DNS Service Discovery). That
backend only works with mDNSResponder (Apple's implementation) and not
Avahi.

> Idiot me, really, to think I must push 'Find New Printers' with such
> technology,
> right? It is not required by design I would think (or try to think).

Yes, because we don't auto-add Bonjour printers like we do for CUPS
browsing.

> The protocol appears on the wire at CUPS scheduler startup with the
> expected
> mDNS multicast broadcast to 224.0.0.251 IPv4 (ff02::fb IPv6),
> provided that you share printers from CUPS.

Right, we'll advertise shared printers but not automatically add them
via Bonjour (for performance reasons...)

Michael R Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer