401 Unauthorized Error

Carl Triolo carl.triolo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 20:13:49 PDT 2009

Let me first say that I am a total newbie to this and that I'm sorry I ever attempted using CUPS or trying to print via CUPS.
I am on a Mac running OS 10.5.7 with the Intel core 2 duo 3.06.
I also have a laptop that was dying, and I thought, just to try something new on it, I would install Ubuntu on it.  It is a Windows xp machine.  I downloaded and installed Ubuntu on it and now the laptop is a dual boot machine.  Ok, everything works great.  Ubuntu is running totally fine, no problems.

Well, then I to print via the USB printer that is plugged into the iMac. I start reading the Ubuntu forums and I am directed to the CUPS website. www.cups.org.
There I find what I'm looking for, CUPS v1.3.10.  So, I download it and install it on both the iMac and the Ubuntu laptop.
I then went to the local http site (http://localhost:631) that you can go in and add your printers.  I did so, then printed a test page on the Epson CX6000 printer and it worked. I also added my Epson Picturemate printer and this worked fine as well.  This was all on the Mac.
Then I tried to print from the Ubuntu laptop and I started getting error messages, so I messed around with the settings on the localhost.631 site and now I am in totally lost.
When I try to print from the iMac, my Epson CX6000 is not a choice.  The Picture Mate is a choice.  Sending a print job to the Epson PictureMate works fine.  I can send jobs from the CUPS administration page and it works for the PictureMate.
When I try to add the Epson CX6000 printer, I get the following error:
"401 Unauthorized Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket..
The "client-error-not-authorized" is the common thread.  I get the same type of error when I try to save a setting or change something in on the CUPS server for the Epson CX6000:
So, we tried adding the printer through System Preferences and got the same type of error, "User Not Authorized".

I have uninstalled the CUPS program on the iMac as well as the Ubuntu machine, but I am still stuck.
Can't print, can't change anything.  Nothing works.
I have read some of the CUPS forums and modified the config file as recommended, but all changes are stymied by the "401 Unauthorized" screen.

I am totally stuck.  I even tried doing everything in Firefox instead of Safari, and there is no difference.  It's like the CUPS localhost 631 screen wants me to log in, but there is no place to type in my username and password.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time.