[cups.general] BrowsePoll show unpublished printers (bug?)

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 06:49:29 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm running cups 1.3.8 from Debian Lenny on a print server on a separate
subnet than a collection of client that are running the same version, so
I've setup BrowsePoll to have the clients collect the set of printers
from the print server.  The problem is that printers I've setup as
unpublished still appear on the clients.  Does anyone know if is this a
bug?  Can it be fixed or worked around?

I've tried things like requiring specific addresses or authentication
for the unpublished printers so the clients can't actually print to
them, but they still show up and print jobs sent to them just silently
fail.

The whole reason I'm doing this is that these printers are part of a
load balancing class and so I want users to print to the class and not
the individual printers.

Thanks for your help,
Brian