[cups.general] Granular printer administration

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Thu Jun 25 15:43:23 PDT 2009

> > Hi.
> >
> > We have some large application servers with a number of printers
> > belonging to
> > different offices, each with its own IT support group. We want to be
> > able to
> > give administration rights to those support groups but just to their
> > own
> > printers, and not the whole CUPS server. Is this currently doable?
>
> Yes, see the policy documentation:
>
>     "ttp://localhost:631/help/policies.html
>
> Just setup a policy and group for each office, and then assign that
> policy to their queues.

Also, if you have staff members with Laptops (excluding Windows at
present) moving between offices, then you may be interested in some of
the prefix grouping features offered by PrinterSetup.

Essentially, PrinterSetup, will allow each IT group to manage one or
more CUPS queues sets on a system. The prefixing allows each IT group
to manage only the queues for which they need to manage. This is
accomplished by a name prefix on the CUPS queue name. There are other
ways of doing this with groups or classes. However, this very simple
prefixing approach allows quick identification of which IT group
manages which CUPS queue.

Printer Setup offers no security behind this kind of management.
Rather it is an agreement between IT departments not to tread on one
and others toes. Once you are an admin of a machine you can pretty
much do anything. PrinterSetup simply provides an easy way to manage
just the printers for which you are responsible. Currently,
PrinterSetup supports management features include the  updating,
adding and removal of groups of printers based upon a name prefix.

However, I am guessing that Michael's suggestions is probably more in
line with your current requirements.