using brother-supplied PPD with cups 1.4.0

fred smith fred.fredex at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:55:27 PDT 2009

i've tried using the PPD file supplied with my Brother HL2070N printer, instead of the one that is generated on the fly (by the fedora printer config utility).

however when pointing it to the PPD file, it complains about a missing Adobe header. Looking at it I can see that there is in fact no such header. but I don't know enough about the proper form of a PPD to know whether it might work if I just hacked in a header.

Before I go down that road, can anyone tell me if such a PPD file would even be expected to work, or is it something else entirely masquerading as a PPD?

here are the first few lines of it:

*NickName: "Brother HL-2070N series"
*FileVersion: "3.19"
*PrinterCaps: "432164"
*DeviceCaps: "17891328"
*TrayCaps: "4097"
*PrintRateA4: "20"
*PrintRateLetter: "20"
*InternalInformation: "25"

*DefaultResolution: 600dpi
*Resolution 1200dpi: ""
*Resolution 600dpi: ""
*Resolution 300dpi: ""

*DefaultOriginalPrintProcessor: True
*MacroSetting: True
*DefaultQuickPrintSetup: False
*GrayText: False
*DefaultStatusMonitor: False
*NoBanding: True

and the last few...

*Font Symbol: "ESC(19MESC(s16686t0b0s#HEIGHTv1P"
*Font Wingdings: "ESC(579LESC(s31402t0b0s#HEIGHTv1P"
*Font OCR-A: "ESC(0OESC(s104t0b0s12.00v10.00h0P"
*Font OCR-B: "ESC(1OESC(s110t0b0s12.00v10.00h0P"