[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3020: adminutil API option for disabling/restricting browse broadcasts

Tom Russo tom.km5vy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 13:53:33 PDT 2009

[STR New]

In addition to the sort of problem that was described above (user has ISP
internet interface), there's another that is an issue for amateur radio
operators using AX.25 networking on Linux.  These ports are used to
transmit information over radio, and it is pretty much always
inappropriate to broadcast packets over those interfaces.

Samba will do that unless you take care --- it has a mechanism where you
can tell it to bind only to selected interfaces, and those of us who use
AX.25 networking have learned the hard way to make sure to use it.

I just learned the hard way that I must turn off CUPS's "Share published
printers..." option on the machine where I have a radio attached.

Adding to CUPS a "bind interfaces only" option similar to that in Samba
would be a Very Good Thing.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3020
Version:  -feature