blank page on some print jobs

Geoff Ransom geoffr at cs.umd.edu
Mon Jun 29 19:01:49 PDT 2009

Hello
  Since upgrading the a cups print server from RHEL 3 to RHEL 4, we have some printers that keep printing out a blank page along with the print job. Most of
the failures were due to a PPD or PC print driver that no longer matched the printer after some were moved or replaced. RHEL 3 was more forgiving than RHEL 4.

I seem to have one printer, a HP 5SI mx, that is still constantly having this problem. I have tried disabling ps_accounting in /etc/foomatic/filter.conf and still get the behavior, though I also still also get page_log entries for it.

Would turning off ps_accounting option disable page_log entries? (Indicating that my change was to something not in use by this printer)

When searching for info, I noticed mention of some *cups variables in the PPD files that affect behavior. We have not set any of these intentionally in our PPD files, and the only one defined in this particular PPD is...

  # grep -i cups  ps1151.ppd
  *cupsICCProfile RGB../sRGB Matching Profile: "/Library/Printers/hp/Profiles/sRGB_A.icc"

Are there other known causes of this that I could check out?

Thanks.