Customising the jobname sent to the printer

Kev kevswindells at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 06:25:52 PST 2009

I have recently had to upgrade our print server moving from an archaic version of Mandrake to Mandriva 2008 and one annoying change is that when our Kyocera printers are printing documents originated on Linux they display "1234 username JOB T" (where JOB T is a truncated version of that was passed by the -t switch)  on the front panel rather than the "Printing" of old - now this isn't too much of a problem (although it no longer means that it is easy to spot when the status has gone bad!), but isn't that useful either

I was wondering if there was a setting I could change somewhere that would change this text to just be that from the -t switch e.g. "lp -t 'Job Title'" would show "Job Title"?  This would be really handy for some of our large automated jobs - e.g. "Payroll - 20%" could be a job title I can pass through.