[cups.general] sharing printers that aren't broadcast

Cheryl L. Southard cld at astro.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 5 09:33:41 PST 2009

Hi Folks,

We have two types of printers in our lab.  Public ones that everyone can
use, and private ones that sit in people's private offices.

We want to centralize our printing services to one linux computer
running cups 1.3.9.  This server needs to send out broadcast of the
public printers only, while accepting print jobs from remote computers
to both the public and private printers.  Can this be done?

We tried setting up the private printers on our print server with
the "-o printer-is-shared=false" flag, and indeed, it is not browsable
or broadcast on our network.  However, we also cannot print to it
from a remote computer, even if we setup a queue on a client computer
with this command:
	> lpadmin -p bw227  -E -o printer-is-shared=false \
		-D "HP Laserjet 4000" -v
		ipp://printserver:631/printers/bw227

So is it possible to broadcast only some printers, while still making
them all printable from remote computers?

Thanks,
Cheryl

--
Cheryl Southard