block print jobs from specific file types

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sat Mar 7 09:43:11 PST 2009

Gareth Clark wrote:

> O ok. I see. Is there any way of blocking/stopping these? If not is there
> a way to add authorisation to the printing. Eg. someone has to put in a
> password before the printer will print a job?
>
>> Gareth Clark wrote:
>> > I am wondering if it is possible at all to block prints from certain
>> > file types.
>> >
>> > For example HTML. I am working with a school and the students have a
>> > habit of printing whole pages from wikipedia.
>>
>> CUPS won't see HTML, it will see PS or PDF from the web browser.
>>
>> --
>> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

As the browsers usually provide a "%%Creator: ..." comment line in the PostScript header they generate, you may use this to define special document types in your mime specifications and block these by nor providing a valid filter chain. But you need to define these document formats such that they are lexically sorted in front of "postscript".

Helge