[cups.general] F10, cups, amanda problem.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Mar 9 08:30:48 PDT 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009, Tim Waugh wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [amanda at coyote cups]$ lpr /home/amanda/.amandahosts
>> lpr: Error - no default destination available.
>
>Do you have an /etc/cups/lpoptions file?  What does it say?
=============================
Default lp1 MediaType=Inkjet StpInkType=CMYK PageSize=Letter StpFullBleed=True
=============================
>I suspect you have a line in it that says "Default ..." for a
>destination queue that no longer exists.  Can you confirm that's the case?

I always have lp0-lp3 defined.  Variations on a theme of course, they are all
an Epson C82, using the C84 drivers to get borderless, from 180x360 B&W to
1440x1440 full color.  And in the 2 weeks since I updated to F10 from F8, I
have not had to touch those configs.  As root, everything Just Works(TM).

>(i.e. I think we're seeing http://cups.org/str.php?L3082)
>
>Tim.
>*/
What is even wierder Tim, is that without a reboot, it worked normally the
next morning, and has for 2 mornings now.  And there was a reboot yesterday
because I just HAD to burn my fingers in a 2.6.29-rc7 kernel for a few
minutes.  Regretfully, even at rc7, it is NOT ready for prime time.  It  won't
run thee console-helper-daemon, and changes selinux file contexts and perms,
so there is about 8 or 10 files I have to run down through setroubleshoot
reports and fix if I can every time I do that.  But I can't fix fetchmail and
procmail until a new targeted policy comes out.  Then to add insult to that if
you try a graceful shutdown to reboot back to the 2.6.28.7 now running, you
wind up doing a full, pull all the power plugs powerdown for about 30 seconds
to restore the ethernet PHY's to living status. 2.6.29-rcx can revive them,
earlier kernels cannot, but its a PIMA switchng back and forth.

I have no idea, not even a clue, why it decided to work.  But prior to sending
that message, I had spent about 4 hours trying to allow the user 'amanda' the
ability to print.  And failing as was quoted.  But now, even lpr works as the
user amanda.  At this point, about all I can do is apologize for the noise.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)