CUPS 1.3.x: really can't print PCL files in latin iso-8859-1 any longer??

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Mon Mar 9 12:40:50 PDT 2009

is that true? CUPS 1.3.x can't print  PCL files  coded in  latin
iso-8859-1 any longer?  And postscript 1.0 files?

I read from Johannes Meixner in
     Re: [cups.general] iso-8859-1 char not printing
that this is a feature of CUPS 1.3.x in this NG. in 02/26/2009

The convertation
iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 filename.txt | lp -d printer
has no effects on PCL files an none on postscript 1.0 file.
The error CUPS is always the same:
lp: Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"

No function present to move a file with any content to another CUPS
host? Really? Only possible with a file:// -queue in printers.conf, a
scp after and a ssh user at host "cat file >/dev/usb/lp0"?

But Windows works out of the box! Oh I begin to love Windows! Windows
the operating system for professionals and business, linux the system
for freaks an home users. I understand! Bye, bye linux-clients!

Ekkard