[cups.general] CUPS 1.3.x: really can't print PCL files inlatin iso-8859-1 any longer??

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 11:26:08 PDT 2009

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> Michael R Sweet schrieb:
>> This only affects printing of plain text files, not other file formats
>> which embed the necessary character set information.
> I've tested PCL files and postscript 1.0 files. Both don't work.
> Convertation with iconvs doesn't work. Printing from Suse 10.2 (CUPS
> 1.2.7) to Suse 11.1 (CUPS 1.3.7). A week before a Suse 8.2 machine
> worked properly.

I think the confusion here is that even with a correctly-encoded *file*,
the IPP *request* sent to the server needs to be encoded in UTF-8.  In
other words, clients with a system character encoding other than UTF-8
are going to have problems talking to recent CUPS servers.

I *think* the DefaultCharset cupsd.conf option can be used on the client
to overcome this -- can anyone confirm?

Tim.
*/