need to print a large document 2 pages to a page on both sides in order wo duplex

Brandon drummerdq at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:55:39 PDT 2009

I am trying to print out a document.  I would like to conserve some paper and ink so I am printing 2 pages to a page and on both side of the paper.  Unfortunately I do not have a duplex printer which I believe would resolve my problem.  I would like pages 1-4 to fit on both sides of one page.
I figure with the options documented in cups the only way I could accomplish this is to specify the range as follows.

lp -o number-up=2 page-ranges=1,2,5,6,9,10 filename

I would then have to reverse the pages and print

lp -o number-up=2 page-ranges=3,4,7,8,11,12 filename

Of course this would not a problem if my document was only 12 pages.  Instead I am dealing with a couple archived documents well over 400 pages.  Is there a easier way to do this?

Brandon