Polling setup with Linux clients

Knut Krause soa2ii at lagom.de
Tue Mar 17 04:40:29 PDT 2009

Hi everybody,
I am an admin at our local universitys cs department. We got a larger organisation wich offers a CUPS server itself wich printers we want to use. Furthermore we want to use our own local printers, too. The two CUPS servers are on different subnets. I just told my cups server "browse-poll site-server" (where site-server is the server of the larger organisation) and my server now sees all printers and can print. If I now just specify "ServerName departmen-server" in the Linux machines client.conf they cannot print.

On the site-server the printer is shown as

 Location: OHS 16 Flur 1.OG
 Printer Driver: HP LaserJet Series (ps17oh)
 Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: irb://fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de/ps17oh

on the webinterface. On our department-server it looks like:

 Location: OHS 16 Flur 1.OG
 Printer Driver: HP LaserJet Series (ps17oh) on fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de
 Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, not published.
Device URI: ipp://fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de:631/printers/ps17oh

Now localhost (our department server) can print without problems I think... the link clients get for example:
------
marx ~ # lpstat -a
asterix accepting requests since Do 19 Feb 2009 23:37:15 CET
lj4500 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
nd50 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
ohs14pr1 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
pool00 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
pool01 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
pool02 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
pool03 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
pool04 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
pool05 at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
ps17oh at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de accepting requests since Di 17 Mär 2009 12:34:34 CET
marx ~ # lp -d ps17oh at fbi-print.cs.uni-dortmund.de test
lp: The printer or class is not shared!
-----

So the site-server says the printer is shared... mine says it isnt. If I click on the button "Share printer" on _my_ webinterface I get a link to the site-server where I of course have no access...

My cupsd.conf looks like

-----
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
Listen 129.217.52.0/24

BrowseOrder deny,allow

BrowseAllow from fbi-print.cs.tu-dortmund.de

BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseAddress 129.217.52.255

BrowsePoll fbi-print.cs.tu-dortmund.de:631
BrowseInterval 0
BrowseShortNames Yes

DefaultAuthType Basic

-----

Any ideas what's wrong here? My CUPS version 1.3.9. The site-servers webinterface says 1.3.9, too but I think the server admin told me it is much older... 1.3.1 or so.

Thanks for your help.