[cups.general] job-originating-user-name not working suddenly?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Mar 17 18:08:09 PDT 2009

A few things:

1. Setting job-originating-user-name-default is an unintended side-
effect of the defaults system and will probably go away in a future
CUPS release.

2. Any time you authenticate you'll override any requesting-user-name
or job-originating-user-name-default value since the authenticated
user is better trusted.

3. When printing from a client system, I'm not sure the job-
originating-user-name-default stuff will actually work on the client
if you set the default on the server. That is, I'm not sure CUPS
browsing sends this default, and I'm sure the other methods (SLP,
LDAP, DNS-SD) don't.