duplex not working from command line with hp4250

Chris Davies chris-usenet at roaima.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 08:50:39 PDT 2009

Linda Hanigan <hanfamily at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I asked about the -o Duplex= earlier because it is not in the
> manual. Michael Sweet posted that it just maps to the -o sides= and
> if the the -o sides= option is not working the -o Duplex= option also
> will not work. I know the syntax of the command is correct because
> it works perfectly with my HP1320. I am wondering if I should try a
> driver designed for a different HP printer.

I have found that sometimes different printers seem to need different
parameter names and values for what's essentially the same thing.

For example,

    lpoptions -d devlaser -l | grep Resolution
    Quality/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: *FromPrintoutMode
	    300DraftGrayscaleK 300GrayscaleK 600GrayscaleK

which as I understand it means that I can have -o Quality=300GreyscaleK

But,
    lpoptions -d pixma -l | grep Resolution
    Resolution/Output Resolution: *600

shows that the equivalent parameter is not Quality but -o Resolution=600

The other possibility is that you need to tweak the PPD. I've not needed
to get into this very much, but it seems to me that if you can look at the
postscript generated by OOo you should be able to find the section that
defines the duplexing. Yuo can then (maybe) compare that to the postscript
snippets in your printer's PPD that are defined by the duplexing options.

Hope this helps some?
Chris