[cups.general] job-originating-user-name not working suddenly?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 20 21:11:31 PDT 2009

Brett Ussher wrote:
> Ok, let me try it from this angle then.  What I'm trying to do is get
> a print queue to do the equivalent of what using the -U option with
> lp does.  Job-originating-user-name was doing this for me until God
> knows why it stopped.  If job-originating-user-name is going to be
> deprecated at some point, then is there something that I can do that
> will make the print queue basically do a "lp -U <username>" whenever
> a job is pushed to it?

job-originating-user-name is not and will not be deprecated - it is
required for IPP conformance.  That said, authentication effectively
overrides any value you pass in - again, per the IPP spec...

job-originating-user-name-default is not part of the IPP standard and
is not supported.

Use "lpd://username@ipaddress/queue" to force the username for all jobs.