[cups.general] job-originating-user-name not working suddenly?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sun Mar 22 11:59:37 PDT 2009

Brett Ussher wrote:
> Thanks again, Michael.  Think that worked.  Wireshark is showing a
> job submission packet that has the right username now.  As for
> job-originating-user-name and -default, I misunderstood what you were
> saying in your previous post.  Sorry about that.  I'm starting to
> think that job-originating-user-name is meant to be used only with
> banner pages, is that correct?

Not exactly.  job-originating-user-name logged the user that created
the job.  For queues with authentication, we always store the
authenticated user name since that is more trustworthy than an name
that was not authenticated.

Now, the user name info does get used on the banner page, but it is
also used for quotas, access control, and authorization.

> Also, I tried the lpd:\\username at ipaddress\queue before.  I added the
> queue through the web admin page and when I went to see the installed
> printers, the URI didn't list the username that the queue was
> printing to.  I didn't think to check the printers.conf at the time.
> I just assumed it didn't work with LPD.  Was the username intended to
> not display within the CUPS admin webpages?

Yes, for security reasons we sanitize outgoing device URIs and make the
printers.conf file only readable by root - this makes casual snooping
for auth data much harder.