cups server questions

Nicolas Alex Michel NicolasAlex.Michel at epfl.ch
Mon Mar 23 04:11:45 PDT 2009

Hi all

I'm working in a place where there's Windows, Mac and Linux.
About 800 users and 130 printers.

Until now Windows users have a print server, but Mac and Linux haven't.
They make a local print queue on each computers.
This is fastidious and not user friendly, of course.

I tried to make a cups server, then I set the /etc/cups/client.conf file and it works.

But when I set this file, others printers in my client print queue disappear.
So on laptop, for private printers, it's a problem.

And an other thing, I don't want to create 20 cups server. And I don't want that each users have on there printer list the 130 printers.
Is it possible to specify groups or something to say who have access to what ?

At this moment, we still don't have ldap domain for mac and linux.
So kerberos and ldap map, or similar things, are not available.

Which documentation could I read to clearly understand what cups could offer to me for a print server solution ?

Thanks and best regards