A delay of 6-7 minutes between submission and printing of a job..

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Mon Mar 30 13:22:36 PDT 2009

> When I send a document to the network printer in our office, it takes about 4-7 minutes before the document actually gets printed.
>
> The connection to the printer is through "https", where I also supply my account information. I've installed it using the CUPS web interface and used both existing PPD driver and supplied driver but it didn't made any difference. I thought it was due to printer but I can print from WinXP with no trouble at all, and all the other people using CUPS also have no problem in immediately printing...
>
> I'd really be grateful if someone could help me on the issue... It's going on for about 1.5 years by now and I don't want to keep on adjusting my pace according to these 7 minutes... (sounded a bit like AA meets BSG episode "33".. but I'm really frustrated - any help would be appreciated!)..

Do you run internal DNS? Do you go through domain controller? Network switch?

If you have any the above, check to make sure configurations are correct and
response time between them is acceptable. I doubt running https is enough to
cause such a huge delay. I'm more inclined to say that it's a configuration
issue somewhere outside of CUPS...and it's sounding more like a networking
issue.

For example, a 10/100 adapter mis-configured to run at 10/half-duplex can be
more of a problem.

Good luck.