cups is gone

Dale Peterson hazelnusse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:24:19 PDT 2009

I'm running Debian and have had a slew of problems with trying to get cups to run, but this one is baffling me.
I do:
aptitude install cups cups-client

And everything install fine, no errors or warnings.

I do:
/etc/init.d/cups start
and it responds:
bash: /etc/init.d/cups: No such file or directory

There is no /etc/init.d/cupsys either.  Where have these gone and how do I get them back?

They were there before, where would they have gone.

I have spent almost a full day trying to get CUPS to work with Brother 8065DN network printer, with no success and am getting extremely frustrated.  I've read every tutorial/faq I can find, and nothing seems to work.  If anybody has experience with this one, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~Luke