[cups.general] clients get stuck when server reboots

Cheryl L. Southard cld at scorpius.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 31 15:00:13 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

We have one main print server running cups V1.3.9 (compiled from src)
on a RedHat Enterprise 4 linux computer which broadcasts browsing info
to mac/solaris/linux print clients with "BrowseAddress" lines in the
cupsd.conf.

When the print server reboots, the cups software on the RedHat 4 Linux
clients gets stuck.  On the client, "lpstat -a" returns
        lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable

Our RedHat Enterprise 4 clients are running cups from rpm
        > rpm -q cups
        cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.27

Our solaris and Mac print clients are fine after a server reboot.

I can reset the clients by restarting cupsd on them.

Can anyone please advise how I can debug this problem.

Enclosed is the cupsd.conf from our server.

Thanks,
Cheryl