[cups.development] IPP-Create/Print-Job unauthorized when auth-info-required

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 4 08:38:32 PST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:33 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> What is the reason for this behaviour?  From my point of view it
> would be nicer if the job could be created as normal in this case.

The print-then-hold behavior is provided only to address error
scenarios - you setup a queue but didn't know it required
authentication for some reason, or you provided the wrong credentials.

Challenging at print time is the "user experience" we want - the queue
is authenticated, so you must supply credentials. Better to
authenticate first (potentially using cached credentials - on the Mac
they can be stored in your keychain, on Linux there are existing GNOME
and KDE "wallet" interfaces...) than to attempt printing and have to
ask the user after the fact.