[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3145: Suggested Improvments for CUPS Test Page

Dan Stranathan dstranathan at mac.com
Fri Mar 27 09:07:06 PDT 2009

[STR New]

The current CUPS page is pretty handy (color wheel, imaging info,
interpreter info etc), but Id like to see some new critical network and
host info added the test page. Here are some examples of things Id like to
see:

1) host name of the system that printed the test page
2) user name of the person who printed the test page
3) Related PPDs, drivers and resources related to the printer/queue
4) Time and date of submitted test page job
5) Relevant printer/queue meta data such as location etc
6) Printer protocol used for test print (IPP, RAW, LPR, etc)
7) Host metadata such as OS version/build, etc

Please chime in with your "wich list" too.

Take a look at the current CUPS 1.3.x page from Mac OS X and then take a
look at a typical Windows XP test page. Combine the 2 and you would have
some very comprehensive info (minus all the win32 gnarly DLL info of
course).

Too much info for a single page? Perhaps we need 2 test pages? A
"Standard" page like we have today in CUPS 1.3 and an "Extended" or
"Advanced" test page for more detailed information.

If there are ways to customize this in 1.3.8 let me know.  Id like to see
your ideas, templates, custom code etc. If its fairly easy to
implement/customize, Id like to test it in my environment.

I posted this request on the Apple RADAR (bug Reporter) site too, via my
ADC account.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3145
Version:  -feature